Receiving messages about winning money
I received a message from someone telling me I have won money or a prize - what should I do?
- If you use the internet you are very likely to get emails or a text messages telling you that you have won money, or a prize like a mobile phone or a holiday.
- Or, sometimes these messages will say that someone needs your help to look after their money for them.
- They will usually ask you for details like your bank account or ID number.
- These messages are scams.
- It is very unlikely that you have won something if you didn’t enter a competition.
- Don’t click on links in emails from people you don’t know.
- Don’t give your passwords or any personal information (like your ID number, address or bank details) to people you don’t know.